As this is a resubmission, all posts dated before October 2010 refer to the original submission. Substantial additional research and re-filming has been done since then!
All post titles finishing with UPDATED have been updated as well as the last 6 posts which is the evaluation

Monday 3 January 2011

Evaluation - Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

The Preliminary task was an important part of my coursework task, it was the first piece of real practise at using the camera and tripods and computer software. I evaluated myself after doing my Swede and I pointed out to myself a few things I would need to improve on next time for my main coursework piece, these were


• Spend more time planning.

• Look out for little problems in the editing such as continuity errors.

• Don't rush the filming

This was my swede this was the first piece of filming i did for the project.



Then i made my preliminary task



Then this was my first final cut



And this was my second final cut from my winter submission







From what I learnt after doing my Swede I realised that when it came to my final product I would need to put a lot more care and effort into producing the final product. So throughout the coursework task I have learnt new and better ways of editing together my footage and off planning my shots. Though even after the entire practise I have had up to my final piece I have hit a few hitches.

One for example is that a few shots and titles that I have used in my final cut were filmed on the day of the deadline. This was down to poor planning and in the end to me seems very rushed. Though none of my feedback picks up on this.

Lastly another problem I picked up on in my final cut was some continuity errors. I originally hoped to iron all these out of my final cut but a few sneaked in. I have shown them all and talked about them in the brief video below.

 
(My final cut I have made some mistakes, in this case I left some audio on the movie project page on IMovie that I thought I deleted from a previous video. This has led to about a minute and a half in the video of a blank screen and some very quiet audio at the end.)

From the prelim task to my final product I have also learnt how the industry create their own products, and I have taken into account their methods, Overall I feel like my knowledge of what is needed to make a decent production has widened and I now have a better understanding of the filming and editing process in the industry.

After deciding to resubmit my film opening i learnt a lot about planning a media product and what is needed to make it a real life. I learnt the value of planning and giving yourself plenty of time for filming.
I planned to start filming a month before the deadline but because of bad weather condition a mixture of problems occur such as school closing, not being able to travel to film due to blocked roads and bad driving conditions and my actors not being able to meet me. In the end i had to rush filming with a week till the deadline. Luckily i had decided to write out call sheets this time which i didn't do previously, this made my filming a lot more simple and a little less stress full. I also learnt the value of knowing exactly what shots i want to film before the shooting process as 3 times i had to re shoot bits due to me rushing my ideas.
   I good idea i did the second time i submitted the film opening was i wrote out different ideas for parts of the opening and filmed all the different bits. So instead of being restricted to one idea during the editing process i had different ideas to work with. Below are two different edits of my opening i produced with two completely different endings. This really helped by giving me greater creative freedom because i wasn't restricted to one idea during editing.





One thing i learnt from my swede which became a useful experience for my second final cut was the art of fitting music around whats on screen, with the swede the music was perfectly match to the onscreen actions. During my second submission i decided to add extra music so the music's timing had to be perfect.

A problem i encountered though during my swede which i haven't learnt from through the entire process is the ambient sound that is recorded on the camera of the camera whirling. I learnt the only way to get rid of it was to film with a boom mike, but throughout the project i never did.



Throughout the process my skill using a camera and tripod has changed and become more creative, at first i just knew how to set up a tripod and put a camera on top to film but now i have learnt how to change camera settings, be more creative with my shots and in a few shots learnt how to modify the lighting in the setting and change the scenery to change the quality of the footage on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment