As this is a resubmission, all posts dated before October 2010 refer to the original submission. Substantial additional research and re-filming has been done since then!
All post titles finishing with UPDATED have been updated as well as the last 6 posts which is the evaluation

Monday 3 January 2011

Evaluation - What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Now it would be great to have such distribution companies as United International Pictures as this is a great company for distributing around Europe and Asia ,Paramount to get around the UK and USA. As my distribution companies. But they wouldn't take my film on because these companies only tend to focus on the more major films.
            My film is a low budget movie (the budget is only £20 which mainly went towards paying for transport to my filming and for DV tapes) and features a northern British cast. This would mean that my movie wouldn't have any cross over appeal to the US. This is because most foreign audiences associate Britain with a London set and a strong southern accent. So due to this i wouldn't look towards a foreign distribution company.
        Rom Com's tend to get a theatrical release such as Love Actually (2003), But my media product is a Teen rom com, these often also get a theatrical release but usually only if the film contains big names in the cast (Such as Youth In Revolt 2009). Because my film stars unknown actors and isn't particular high budgeted and isn't set in a stereotypical British setting then chances are it will be a straight to DVD release (Mean Girls 2 - 2011, is a example of a teen rom com that went straight to DVD).

Therefore the perfect company to distribute my film would be Pathé Distribution
      Pathé focus on the more low-budget, independent films like my film "Not a Chance", Because it is a quite well known company as well it will know many of the advertising techniques needed for a successful film launch, the company also focus a lot on the UK which is where my film was film and produced. Examples of films that Pathé distributed are The Duchess (2008) and The Wind That Shakes The Barley (2006).

Another media institution that would distribute my film would be Itunes, by having my indie movie on the iTunes marketplace, it gives the options for viewers to download my movie for a price and watch it off their computer screen. This would mean I wouldn’t need to have my movie transported around the country which would cost a lot. Though the second method would only be good if it was a straight to DVD release.

    
    In terms of my course i have used YouTube.com to distribute my film, YouTube is a good way for young film makers to create hype and get their film seen.
    As well as YouTube i entered my film opening into the Co-operative film festival and had it selected to be show in front of a large audience. This was a good way to create hype and market my film and in a way is a form of distribution to a wider audience. David Whitney's Kandahar Break was like my film (if it was released) a direct to DVD release but the film managed to create alot of hype because David sent the film to a film festival and won a award for the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment